I support Compassion

16.7.08

The Test

First of all, I should thank Mr. Donald Brooks as prime inspiration for the way I wrote this... I love the way he writes, and I envy him. And the Apostle James; he was pretty heavy on this, too.


It was yet midnight as I stared at the mirror,
knowing not what I stared at;
I soon realized that its eyes were unfamiliar.
My reflection was glaring back.

"Who are you?" I cried-- "and what is your name?
Oh God, how can this be?"
It replied, "be assured, this is not a game--
I am Inevitability."

"Dreadful," I sighed, "you are the first I fear,
the last that I suspect."
An onerous, watchful, and savage peer
ensures my fate correct.

Inevitability opened a tiny hatch,
just above Its "waist:"
and to it proceeded a peculiar, homespun batch
of things I've been taught to hate.

The head of Rage emerged from the dark behind It:
an eye of envy, and one of pride,
scaled and vicious, I feared its fangs, rescinded.
Loved ones knew only its bite.

My stomach turned at the sight of the translucent face of Fear--
evil stitches its vision controlled!
It jumped, shuddered, scurried away from Rage when it came near,
whose countenance it did not know.

The last of these was Vanity, so lovely and handsome
with the first warm kiss of an eye.
I wept sorrowfully upon my examination;
the face as hollow as mine.

I sobbed, "OK, all right! They are not new enemies.
Now explain the hatch to me!"

Its eyes glowed bright as Rage's tongue hissed,
my heart sank to the floor.
It grabbed my wrist, and told me this:
"I'll show you what this is for!"

At once, the three began to squeeze through the tiny hole,
which the opening forbode.
My tears fueled them as red-hot coals;
I felt my veins explode.

My soul opened up, my nerves were aflame--
my legs betrayed me to the ground!
I cried out, hopeless, as waves of torment overcame
my whole body, every pound.

"Their wrath is great, but you know that such is the price
for a disciple wishing to grow.
You make great claims, and even that you follow Christ!
Do you walk in love, or no?"

"I do! Truly! I believe every word I say!"
I screamed, as I rose to my feet.
I looked and searched, but all in vain.
Inevitablity ceased to be.

3 comments:

kerri said...

this is AMAZING.

Danielle said...

wow. beautifully frightening

Anonymous said...

agreed. masterful.