I support Compassion

16.11.08

A plea

My mother told me that I was born with my eyes wide open. Time was never wasted with needless crying. I was looking for you, even when I didn't know you. Call it a hunch.

But there was no curtain. No masquerade, no hoops... no prerequisites. There were no guards at the door, with which you could search me for the weapons I wielded against you. You probably can't describe the pain, especially when I didn't apologize. Maybe you wasted time crying.

Look at how you have entranced me! Look at how you have deliberately guided me into your mystery: and not against my will! Escape plans are as good as tinder now. Just more fuel to feed the flames-- the flames that I, Prometheus, claimed.

Was it just? Maybe. You say no; my sources disagree. When the piece is finished, when the world is on fire with what I have brought them... I pray it doesn't take me that long. My eyes are open again, and I don't waste time with crying.

Stop my heart if this necktie ever gets comfortable.

Sing as you always have when my eyes search.

Fall upon my head from the sky when I forget your quiet majesty.

Burn my rationale when I hold back.

Be the only door-kicking boots I'll ever wear.

Fill my mind with your mercy-- my heart with your promises.

Rip the roof off my hut.

Hold me while I drown.

Remind me of your love as I stand in the gallows.

Be all I see when I finally close my eyes.

Call it a hunch.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

i am so excited to see what you do in creative writing with cline this spring. seriously.