I support Compassion

26.12.08

Thank God

He has been so good.

The fact that I cannot sleep tells me that I have some unresolved issues... or it may simply be the fact that I cannot sleep. I'm not worried about it.There are some things I need to say; and they're not resolutions. I'll save those for New Year, after my Spartans trounce the Georgia Bulldogs.

It's always been my policy to not itemize the little things for which I'm thankful. I don't know if this is just a preventative measure against brushfires in relationships, or if it's my INFP nature to zoom out and see the big picture behind the little things. But I'm grateful... I'm so grateful for everything that has happened this year. As David Steindl-Rast says, "When we learn to approach the world with gratefulness, everything seems to make sense." So, for the sake of thoroughness, I'll itemize as best I can:

- My old friends from home always put me in my place and force me to widen my perspective.
- My trip to the country of my own heritage was unforgettable, and demanding of a return visit.
- With new friends come new experiences... new ways to smile and learn.
- My comfort zone is sometimes cracked by a fifteen-mile lifeline... or just a well-timed hug from someone who's had their life changed.
- Core 20, you will always have a special place in my heart as my first group. You are all incredible people, and the worlds in which you live will be uniquely altered for good by your very presence in them.
- This summer was the best I've had since I can remember. From fleas to walking raves, nomcakes and assault rifles... well, it was surely not my doing.
- My family never lets me down in the fact that we always do what we want. The horizon has never been closer, and still, it is our only boundary.
- PAs, past and present, you've been the legion in which I've always taken pride marching. Even in assumed silence, your strength as a whole has carried me time and time again.
- Core 18, you more than surpassed my expectations. Already, your energy and life have shown me so much of God and myself: and for that, I can't say I'll ever be able to fully express how thankful I am. Let's make this second semester happen!
- Don, Caleb, and John... if we're discussing whether Kant was a Christian or what to put in our pancakes, or even both, we do so in the way people envy. I'm pretty lucky.
- This space is for my biochem lab group. Thanks for putting up with my baby food... I definitely would not have survived without you.
- Ryan, I don't know where you found that gorilla suit, but that was assuredly one of the best things ever.
- Carrie, I almost don't know what to say. After finally almost building up to say what I've wanted to say for months (Kerri, you need to be thanked here, too), you watched me actually run away... and it did not scare you away. You have a way of making me comfortable while keeping me in my place. The touch of your hand calms my soul, and your compassion is my envy. If english 490 does indeed kill you, I'm gonna be totally depressed, killer.
- The two great men that have gone from this earth have taught me much. Papa had a huge influence on me, and his final days have changed the way I live forever. Randy showed me how impressively a man can seek after God in times of mourning and despair. Both saints, if you ask me. And nobody has.
- This dog... the one that forced her wet nose under my hand while I was typing this... this dog is awesome. I am honestly thankful for Cassie.

Come, now, what may. The present is heaven on earth for me; my desire is simply to bring paradise to the rest of you. Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year. Peace.

No comments: