I support Compassion

12.12.08

The Moon and the Star

The moon seems to be the lord of the sky at night. It certainly was tonight, as the star pointed out. She could hardly contain her excitement; and it was contagious. I was driving while her joy was gushing under my tires, and it was suddenly more difficult to stay on the road while sharing this moment. But later that night, when the star I had seen calmly faded into the rest of the sky, it was the shift of focus that had caught my attention.

The moon was the lord of the sky. I can respect that. The star had no trouble taking the attention off herself to point to something even better. "Is it not beautiful," she asked, "enough to wait, and ponder, and adore?" I felt no disappointment, no fear, no animosity. I felt only calmness. For the star had shown me that there was more to her light... and shown me the lord of the night sky. The microscope becomes a telescope after only widening the field of view and looking deeper into nature-- that is how I came to know the beauty and lordship of the moon.

And that moon is beautiful. The star is, indeed, dazzling and breath-taking as well, but it is the moon that makes completion. When I see it again, I will be sure to remember. I gave my word.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

we are SO watching that movie this weekend

Anonymous said...

i love the word "gushing"...great use of it here jamesss